Monday, May 26, 2014

The Disappointments of Growing Up

Photo Credit
One of the worst parts about growing up is that you learn all these things in life that you thought were true are the opposite. My parents tend to burst my bubble when it comes to things like this. For example, a few months back, I found out that Betty Crocker isn't an actual person. I guess I didn't expect the lady on the cover of the cookbooks to be a real live person, but I thought she was perhaps at least based on someone. (I guess it could be argued that she is based on the women of the current generation or whoever is opening that cookbook). But as a young person, I believed she was real. Why wouldn't she be???
 
Then there is the whole thing about drawings/giveaways... (My parents claim most of them are rigged and they are not just by chance).

Photo Credit
Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, the list goes on and on. As a child you have no reason to doubt these things. And some of these things may not even have been things people have told you, it may have just been that you were a trusting child and believed the world was a wonderful place. Perhaps you even believed you lived in Never Land, which of course brings up the whole Peter Pan thing. I always wished I could be Peter and just stay young forever...

So what, you may ask, started this whole rant and rave? Well, you see, I am a self-proclaimed, hopeless romantic. I love to read chick lit and watch chick flicks. Tonight, we (my family and I) got into this whole discussion about this super romantic marriage proposal from a book that my mom and I had just read***. She said that romantic proposals like that don't happen in real life (at least not a lot of the time) and of course I believe they do. (And don't even get me started on happily-ever-afters). So then this discussion got started and now I'm on a mission to prove that proposals do/can happen that way today, in real life. So please tell me all of your wonderfully romantic tales of real life!  

And if, in the small chance that they might not be that romantic, I guess I will just continue to read my wonderfully romantic chick lit by all of my favorite authors out there! I do have to give a shout-out to all those great authors who write great, clean, romantic, humorous, Christian books! I really appreciate all of you!


***The whole proposal discussion started based on Janice Thompson's series "Weddings by Design". The third one, "The Dream Dress," has a wonderfully romantic proposal, but I won't tell you about it because it will ruin it for you! Make sure you read the book!

"The Dream Dress" by Janice Thompson

No comments: