Monday, January 18, 2021

Looking back at 2020

Ahhh, 2020 is over. In some ways, it is a relief, in others, I am sad that a whole year has flown by. 

Let's take just a minute to look back before going forward. 

Last year, my word for the year was PEACE. It was exactly the word I needed in the midst of chaos and a trying year. God knew the word I needed.

Looking into 2020 last January, I didn't want to make a lot of resolutions because I thought other things were going on. (There was, but not what I thought! Or anyone!).

 Here is what I wrote last year when I chose my word and thought about making resolutions:

In 2020, we have many commitments including politics, campaigning, helping with the local homeschool co-op (I am also teaching this semester), hosting a reader's retreat, VBS, graduations of close friends and family, a major election, work, family, to name just a few.

Looking back, this how that turned out:

In 2020, we have many commitments including politics Yep

campaigning Looked so different this year

helping with the local homeschool co-op (I am also teaching this semester) Until we cancelled in March due to Covid

hosting a reader's retreat Postponed to 2021

VBS Postponed to 2021

graduations of close friends and family Happened, just different than we would have guessed

a major election Again, looked so different this year

work Thankful for my job, looked a lot different this year

family Time with family also looked different, to name just a few. 


Funny how our expectations vs. what happened last year were so vastly different. Most of the above did not look like I would have expected. But somethings were even better. There were definitely things to be thankful for in the midst of 2020.

Here are a couple of the things we listed on our Christmas card this year:

  •  A new niece born in January
  • Family vacation in July
  • My sister getting engaged and married
  • Fall family camping trip
  • Seeing "Noah" at Sight and Sound in Branson 
  • Lots of produce from our garden (1st time in a long time!).
  • Technology
  • Friends and Family
  • Jesus!
  • And so many more.  

Looking back on 2020 will always be hard, but I will try to find the joy, the blessings, and give thanks for all them. I will remember that God is always good and was and is with us always. 

I think it is good to look back on the things we grieve (write them down and release them), but then to also write a list of things to celebrate and give thanks to God for how He is always working in our lives. Look for those God sightings! You might just be surprised!

No comments: