Sunday, October 5, 2014

Being Content

When I look at the people around me, I wonder if they are really content with where they are in life, in their current situation. I think many of them are happy at times, but sometimes I wonder about their true contentment. Sometimes, I think it is because we live in a society where we are told to always want the next best thing or what everybody else has...

Before I go farther, I think I need to define contentment. I see contentment as having joy in your life and when I say joy, I mean that happiness that is found on the inside. I believe it is all connected. To be content is to be satisfied with what you have and where you are at. 

When I looked in the dictionary, this is what it said:

Contentment: the state of being happy and satisfied : the state of being content

The Bible calls us to be content, and in doing so, that is where we can find true joy and satisfaction in Christ. It is not really about what is going on on the outside, it is about what is on the inside. In the midst of life and craziness and whatever else is going on, we can have peace on the inside because we have God on our side. 

A Bible verse that I always think about when I think of contentment is:

Hebrews 13:5 – ...be content with what you have, for he has said, ‘I will never leave you nor forsake you.’

The more I think about contentment, the more I feel I'm able to define it. I feel that contentment encompasses so many things. Many things that I have already talked about. 

To me contentment equals:
Peace
Joy
God's love for us and ours for Him
Satisfaction 
Thankfulness
Less worry
Awareness of blessings

And probably many more things. Maybe only some of these, maybe all of them. But one thing I do know is that I want to be content. I know I am not always content and will probably never be completely content this side of Heaven. However, I want to strive to that goal. I want be content in Christ and the blessings He has given me.

True contentment can only be found in Christ and the salvation He offers. We will never be completely satisfied unless we have Him in our lives.


No comments: