Wednesday, March 4, 2015

The Art of Letter Writing

The Art of Letter Writing 



Recently, I took up this challenge of letter writing. (You can read more about it in my last blog post about reversed Lent). My goal during Lent, and for the year of 2015, is to write 50 cards/letters to people (and actually send them). I am using Lent as my jump start, but the real goal is to have 50 sent by the end of the year.  

I feel that letter writing is a dying art form. I have read many books from past ages where letter writing was what got people through the hard times. During wars, sickness, and trials, the letters were what helped keep people going. Letters shared joyous announcements, deep sorrow, and day-to-day life. It may have been one of their only forms of communication, but it was effective. They left a legacy.  Those letters were handed down to the next generation and they told a story, they told real life. 

When I decided to do this challenge, I thought it would be easy. Just write a note with a few lines of encouragement and send it off. Then I started doing it... It is harder than I thought! The words I have written have all been true, but I find it hard sharing how much I appreciate the people in my life and to tell them how much they mean to me. I am blessed by so many people in my life that encourage me. When I go to write to them, I cannot express my feelings of how much of a blessing they are to me. While it is not as easy of a task as I first thought, I am finding joy in the process. It is stretching me to write these letters and notes. 

In the past week, I have been to two funerals. One for a child, who had lived a short life, but who had touched the lives of those around her, even those who did not know her well. The other funeral was for a man that had lived a good, long life, a full life. He was a blessing to those around him and was an influence for Christ. Both celebrations of life reminded me of just how short life is, whether I only have a few years or many, I want to live my life to the fullest and be a witness for Christ. I want to build up other believers. And I pray that my simple, yet heartfelt letters, will do just that. 

Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing. 

1 Thessalonians 5:11 NIV

Post on Reversed Lent:
http://musingsmadebymandy.blogspot.com/2015/02/lent-2015-reversed-style.html?m=1 

No comments: