Wednesday, May 4, 2016

My Sabbatical - A Leap of Faith

A new season of life.

Change.

Going outside of my comfort zone.

A challenge.

A leap of faith. (It is leap year after all!)

With the encouragement and blessing of my parents, peace from God, and the desire for change, growth, and something new, I am setting out on a new season in my life.

I am taking a personal sabbatical.

There have been many things leading up to this decision. I have felt so many affirmations in my decision. This was truly a choice I made that was between me and God (and encouragement from my parents!). There have been road blocks, questions asked, doubts, and maybe even some tears at the possibilities of change, of going outside my comfort zone. I like my comfort zone. After all, it is pretty comfy there, but in the end, staying in my comfort zone will not lead to growth for me. So here I go; I have taken a leap of faith.

According to Merriam-Webster, a sabbatical is defined as: a period of time during which someone does not work at his or her regular job and is able to rest, travel, do research, etc.

So I am going on a sabbatical. Today, was officially my last day at work. (I worked at a great job and loved my co-workers. I will definitely miss them and their fun nature.)  Leaving my job was a hard choice to make. I left behind good people, pay, and benefits. But I believe there is so much more to life than just money. I want to go experience more of the world. I want to rediscover my passions. I want to live with no regrets. One thing I keep thinking about is that my grandpa always said that he wished he could have done more. When he was in his last years of life, he continued to encourage all of his family to travel and do things while we still could.



The truth comes down to the fact that none of us know how much time we have left on this earth. We could have decades, years, days, or even minutes. But I believe each one of us was put here for "such a time as this". I believe this is my time to do this. I want to do this while I am young, able, and have the resources to do so.

I know there will be more questions asked of me and, honestly, I have not been ready to answer these questions. This is not what the world would say is smart to do. In fact, I am not sure if all of my family and friends will agree with my decision, yet I have felt God is telling me to step out in faith. And I believe He will bless me for that.

I am planning on blogging about my journey, so please stay tuned for more information and feel free to comment below. God has already been doing big things in my life and I hope to share those things here soon. I have many plans for the summer and am excited to see how I can be used by God and how He will work in my life.
 
In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.
Matthew 5:16 (NIV)

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Wow! Can't wait to keep up with all that you do and learn and grow in during your sabbatical!
-Rachel

Unknown said...

Let us know if your travels and rest include Seattle.